Pages

Monday, April 27, 2015

Spring for Cotton.

My Spring for Cotton outfit is finally done. When I first thought of what I was going to sew I thought it was going to be a simple pencil skirt and that was that. But then as I laid in bed my mind began to wander and two hours later I had a new plan.
Before Christmas I wanted to make myself a winter coat but as time began to slip away I had to let the idea go..for now. At the time I was also having a hard time finding a vintage pattern to meet my criteria of what I wanted my coat to look like.
This gives you some idea of the look I wanted.



Via Pinterest

Then I found this pattern.
McCall's M6800 and I was back in business


To me View A of the pattern was close enough to give me that vintage feel of the coat I was looking for. 
To complete my outfit I thought why not throw a skirt into the mix too!!
This is my ten gored skirt pattern that I've now made 3 skirts from. It's a super easy pattern and out of all my skirt patterns it is my favourite.



Now for fabric...
The first thing that springs to mind when you say cotton( at least for me it is) is quilting cotton but tucked away for the last 20 years, yes 20 years, is a piece of denim that I held onto. When I bought it, it was the last of the last and I think I only paid $2 a meter.
Then a couple of years ago I had bought a Michael Miller cotton print that had caught my eye. Now  armed with the fabrics and patterns from two different decades my sewing plan was coming together.

Meet my souped up jean jacket and beach tent skirt. hehe




The whole sha-bang cost around $25 to make.
Shoes-Globo shoes bought two years ago
Purse -Thrift Store
Shirt-Old Navy bought two years ago
Necklace -Thrift Store
Petticoats- made my me
Sunglasses-prescription so now I can look ultra cool.

Now remember my clothes need to make other outfits and this is no exception. My daughter had given me this blue knit fabric as a gift and I thought how perfect for Sewaholic's Renfrew . I had it done in about an hour, bonus!!  Who doesn't love fast sewing clothes. Great with jeans but its going to pair nicely with a few other things hanging out in my closest. 



I went grocery shopping last week sporting my new jacket and Renfrew....in the snow.





So from Vintage to 2015. I think it works just fine! :)






  



4 comments:

  1. love it! and you look so so, so pretty in all that blue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks! Blue is going to be working its way into my wardrobe a lot this summer and fall.

      Delete
  2. It's absolutely glorious!!! I mean like, stop you in your tracks, head-turningly, flat out fantastic. If I saw you on the street, I would rush up to you and ask where you got that stunning coat from. Fabulous job, dear Debra. It's marvelous and looks like a million dollars on you!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd have to say I'm super glad I waited the twenty years to think about what to make with that fabric. Haha

      Delete