Pages

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Fall Flavours

Somewhere along the line I may have shared this recipe but I'm going to do share it again because it is the most versatile recipe and one that I should make more often. (I've also been in a baking mood, :) blame it on the weather)

It is a recipe for the humble Coffee Cake.



This cake has been baked in so many flavours...cherry, strawberry, blueberry, blackberry, raspberry, peach, rhubarb, strawberry rhubarb, apricot, mixed berry but rarely has it been apple.
I used to bake it for friend who owned a road side stand and almost never did I bring one home that didn't sell. It has been requested for birthdays and loved by guests. I've even made it gluten friendly if the need arose it's just that interchangeable but like I said I just don't pull this recipe out much.  I don't know why because it's always a hit.

With Canadian Thanksgiving celebrated yesterday I had some leftover cranberries and thought they would be perfect for a coffee cake. So Cranberry Coffee Cake it was!
If you change the filling and make your own like I do it needs to equal approx. 2 cups of filling and a 9x9 pan works well instead of using a springform pan.

The recipe can be found on the website here but I've also added it. Enjoy! :)

APPLE STREUSEL COFFEE CAKE

2 1/4 c. flour
3/4 c. sugar
3/4 c. butter
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 egg, beaten
3/4 c. buttermilk
1 (20 oz.) can apple pie filling
1/2 tsp. grated lemon rind or 1/2 tsp. cinnamon (optional)
1/3 c. raisins

Combine flour and sugar in large bowl. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly; set 1/2 cup of mixture aside. To remainder add the baking powder and soda; set aside.Combine egg and buttermilk; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Spread 2/3 of batter over bottom and part way up sides of greased 9-inch springform pan.
Combine pie filling, flavorings and raisins. Spoon over batter. Drop spoonfuls of remaining batter over the filling. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.


1 comment:

  1. Yay!!! My eyes lit up like fireworks when you said right off that bat that it was a recipe you'd already been able to make in GF form (hurrah!). Now I know what will be on the dessert roster next! :) There are oodles of pears around right now, so I think I might give it a go with that fellow classic fall fruit.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete