Pages

Monday, March 17, 2014

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?

Yesterday our church did something they haven't done in a while. Put together a bit of a mystery dinner. You could either sign up to be a host or a guest. As a host you put down the number of people you can accommodate and as a guest how many will be going. You have no idea who will be arriving on your doorstep till the day of as a host, or whose home you're going to be going to as a guest.
I signed up as a host, and I will have to tell you that it was a fair bit out of my comfort zone. The not knowing began to get to me a little, the night before. But since I want to step out of being comfortable all the time, this really was a good thing and turned out to be such a fun thing to do.

Now for the food. The other thing you begin to wonder, are they going to like what you've made, so you cross your fingers and hope. I believe what I made turned out alright and here it is.



Lasagna Soup. I found the recipe on pinterest but didn't actually pin it or like it, silly me. Not on purpose but because it was so simple, I just added the ingredients to my shopping list, and memorized it. Now I can't find this recipe. So if its yours, please speak up so I can give you the credit you deserve!

 Here it is.

900 ml of chicken broth
1 340 ml can of diced tomatoes
1 340 ml can of pureed tomatoes
1 pd ground meat of your choice.
1 lg onion
1-2 cloves garlic
6-8 crushed lasagna noodles or 1/2 box pasta of your choice.

Brown your meat and sauté your onions and garlic.
Add everything else, but the pasta. Simmer away.

Cook your pasta separately till its almost done and then add it to the soup, along with a cup of the pasta water. Simmer a little longer until noodles are completely cooked.

Season your soup to taste. I added a bit of Italian seasoning to mine.

Garnish with a spoonful cottage or ricotta cheese
and top with a healthy dose of mozzarella

See, super simple, and it was quick to make. I also think it would make a great crock pot soup, but again add your pasta at the end in the same manner as above, or you'll have very soggy noodles.

Since this is the winter that won't end, its a great one to add to your comfort food list. :)


2 comments:

  1. Goodness, does this sound scrumptious! I've got a box of GF lasagna noodles in the cupboard that haven't seen any play since they came home with me a few months ago (no one has been a lasagna mood here lately), and I think a GF version of this tasty dish is just what the doctor - or, perhaps more likely, the chef - ordered. Thank you for the recipe inspiration, lovely lady!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks! By the way, I've been creeping round your blog for a long time. Everything is just beautiful! You, your pics, your love of vintage and the fact you're a Canadian Gal. You can be sure I'll keep up with my creeping! :)

      Delete