Pages

Monday, August 5, 2013

Fashion Backwards

I've always been a sucker for twirly skirts, crinolines,and watching old shows/movies from the 50's and 60's.  With a resurgence of this fashion era over the past couple of years, I can have my wish and wear the clothes of this time period. YeeHaw!!
After watching the sewing bee I thought, I need to improve my sewing skills and I wanted to make true authentic clothes from the era, rather then buy a knock-off. Enter Gertie. I picked up her book along with a couple of vintage patterns from etsy.



 Now I've sewn lots of things before, but I'd read that sewing with a vintage pattern can be a little tricky. I thought the blouse looked like a fairly easy place to jump off.

Here it is!


Things you learn from sewing from this type of pattern- It may not be your size and it wasn't, so I had to learn to re-adjust a pattern. Next, I had to make a mock up to make sure my newly sized pattern to make sure it would actually fit me!
-Darts. I've always hated making darts. This pattern had 12 to sew into it. In the end it wasn't so bad. There was a lot of going back and forth between the book, internet and the pattern itself. Interfacing wasn't mentioned once in the pattern, but I did add it.
-Collar. I haven't been the best at making a nice crisp collar, and usually avoid them, but really like how this one turned out.
-Patience...lots and lots of patience. Sewing slower, makes me a better sewer.


In case you're wondering this was from a 1957 pattern. It was fun ( and will be ) bringing these clothes back to life 50 years later. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment