Pages

Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Tale of Willy Black

Willy Black was an immigrant to Canada, back in the late 1800's. He came with a dream of one day having his own little business. But first he had to make his way by keeping the books for a little store in a little prairie town. When he had enough saved, he hung out his sign.

Annnnd....... I just made all that up. What really happened was, I was watching Salvage Hunters and Drew had bypassed a sign, but I thought it was kind of a neat. I jotted down what it said and quick sketch of how the lettering looked.

In my version I made up the name Willy Black, and kept the lettering the same simple design, from the show.



First I stained the wood a dark colour, then used a crackle medium and painted it white. The trim was painted black, then green. The word "bookkeeping" is black, and is outlined in gold. I gave the whole thing a light sanding and sealed it with my homemade beeswax polish. Originally the sign was meant to go in my upstairs hallway but for some reason I was drawn to use green. Maybe its because waiting in the wings to be rewired and hung in my kitchen are these.


We found them on our anniversary trip back in September, and I can't wait to see them hung. But I guess right now I'm going to continue to gather things for the kitchen. So far I've been lucky enough to find some pretty cool things, which I can hardly wait to show you.:)

No comments:

Post a Comment